Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia – History or Google search history is usually useful to make it easier for us if we want to go back to the same site. However, sometimes there is private history that you don’t want other people to see or just reopen it.
Google itself will save your search history when you use the browser. While Google does not “sell” user data, it uses it to personalize ads across its services such as search, Maps, YouTube, and on other websites that use its advertising platform.
This Google search history can be deleted from your cellphone, laptop and other gadgets that you usually use. Users can also delete history automatically and delete recent search terms directly from their cellphone.
Here are the steps you can take to delete your Google search history.
How to delete history for a certain period of time
Google can automatically clear your search history after a certain period of time, if you want.
- Open Gmail on your laptop or cellphone, click Profile, and open the Manage Your Google Account section
- Click Data & privacy, find the History settings header,
- Click Web & App Activity to open the Activity Controls page.
- Find the Auto-delete section and click the time period under it to open the customization options box.
- Use the menu to select the period for automatically deleting search history. The options are longer than 3, 18, or 36 months.
- Then, return to the Activity Controls page.
How to delete history in Chrome
Instead of going to the auto-delete option, you can manually delete everything you’ve ever searched for in the Chrome browser, or just some of it.
To delete browser history, you need to use browser settings. Here’s how to delete Chrome browser history.
- Open Chrome on your laptop or cellphone
- Click the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select History
- Click Clear browsing data.
- Select the time range for which you want to delete history. You can choose to delete history from All time, last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 4 weeks, or last 1 hour.
- Check the boxes next to the types of data you want to delete, such as browsing history, cookies, and cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
How to set up automatic history deletion
You can also control how much browsing history is saved and when it is automatically deleted. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the Google application on your Android phone or tablet.
- Tap your profile picture or initials in the top right corner.
- Select Browsing history.
- Tap Controls.
- On the Web & App Activity card, touch Auto delete (Off).
- If you see Auto-delete (On), Google automatically deletes your Web & App Activity, including browsing history, after a certain period of time. To change the time period or turn it off, tap Auto-delete (On).
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
How to delete Google history on cellphone
Users can also delete Google history via cellphone. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the Google application on your Android cellphone or tablet.
- Touch your profile picture or initials in the top right corner.
- Select browsing history
- Control click
- Under web and app activity. Touch power off.
- Select turn off
- Or, turn off and delete activities, then select the activities you want to delete
How to delete recent searches on Google
Users can also delete search words they just used on Google on their cellphone. To delete recent searches, follow these steps:
- Click the Google search bar
- Select and hold on the most recent question you want to delete.
- Select delete
That’s how to delete traces of search history on Google. Please try.